What qualifications do you need to be a tour guide?
In order to be registered as a tourist guide in South Africa, a person must meet the following minimum requirements:
- must be at least 21 years of age;
- must be a South African citizen or be in possession of a valid work permit;
- must have undergone training with a CATHSSETA-accredited training provider;
Is it hard to become a tour guide?
It’s a competitive field, and you’ll have to work hard to keep your coveted role. You need to be dedicated, but you also need to know how to have fun. You’ll live out of a suitcase, answer hundreds of questions every day, and work with many different personalities and cultures from all over the world.
Is tour guide a good career?
A tour guide gets the opportunity to see the world. It is a job with no time limit. You have to work for a long 12 hours in a day and may be that on the next day you will be free. It is a good career industry but very competitive.
Do tour guides make good money?
Generally speaking, tour guides can earn between $50 and $150 per day taking a lot of factors into consideration such as experience, locations, training, type of tour, and others. … Some of the more experienced tour guides earn anywhere between $30,000 and $60,000 per year.
How do you become a guide?
10 Tips for Being a Good Tour Guide
- Face the crowd, not what you’re talking about. …
- Be personal. …
- Tell a story (historical or contemporary). …
- Get moving right away. …
- Don’t worry about being perfect. …
- Get help to get organized.
Where can I learn to be a tour guide?
Tourist Guide Institute offers both full time and online courses to individuals who want to become registered tour guides and/or tour operators in South Africa.
Do you need a degree to be a tour guide?
There are no formal education requirements for tour guides, though most have at least a high school diploma. … These training programs are typically run by current tour guides and cover such subjects as industry knowledge and tour itinerary design. Tour guides must also be knowledgeable in the area they will be covering.
How do you become a Blue Badge guide?
All Blue Badge guides must pass the Institute’s exams or the STGA’s exams. They study for up to two years at university level, taking a comprehensive series of written and practical exams which qualify them to become Blue Badge Tourist Guides. The institute also sets standard for guides to work in foreign languages.
How do I become a private tour guide?
Generally speaking, you can usually become a private tour guide by obtaining a license, after which you can either join a local tour company or work independently. Some tour guides take visitors on specialized walking tours that explore different aspects of a travel destination.
How do I become a successful tour guide?
10 qualities every good tour guide needs
- You need to be charismatic. While there’s only one tour guide, there can numerous people on a tour, from 2 to 5 to 20 or more. …
- You need to be knowledgeable. …
- You need to be a good communicator. …
- 5 ways tour operators can re-engage followers on social media.
Why I want to be a tour guide?
8 Reasons Why Being a Tour Guide is the Best Job
- You’ll learn a valuable skill set for a future career. …
- You will see more countries & cities than you ever thought possible. …
- You will be living the dream. …
- You’ll become an expert on history, art and architecture. …
- Your colleagues will be just like you!